CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Will Miracles never cease?

What if miracles only cease to exist, when we cease to see them for what they are?

Miracles, another of those religious type words like grace and mercy. Words we use all the time, but do we realize what they mean or recognize them when they happen? And what if we don’t see them? Do they continue to happen just as the proverbial tree in the forest? Our presence or awareness doesn’t change the sound of the tree falling in the woods, so maybe it doesn’t change the miracles happening all around us either.

Maybe a miracle is something more. Maybe it doesn’t have to be the parting of the red sea or resurrecting the dead.

As I turned to enter the parking lot I saw a family of three sitting beside the road holding a sign asking for help. A father who had lost his job, his wife sitting on a stool or bucket of some sort and a tiny little girl with her sweater hood pulled tightly around her ears.

They were on the opposite side of the road and I, like most of the people entering, continued on my way. I shopped for what I needed and made my way back to my truck and began leaving the parking lot. As I left the family was on my side of the road and I drove past making very little eye contact.

I made it about 75 feet away when I remembered the money in my pocket. I have been so blessed (yes another of those religious words), all my bills are paid, I have plenty to eat, way too many toys, gizmos and things to entertain myself and yet there was still money in my pocket.

I mulled over the possibility that these people were there just taking advantage of others and getting an easy hand out, and then I thought about how little that possibility really mattered to me. So what if I gave someone a few bucks from my pocket and they chose to misuse it. I was already blessed with all I needed. I wasn’t even going to miss the money.

I turned around and drove back to the parking lot. Since they were on the opposite side of the road I pulled in and parked my truck and walked up to the family. The woman shyly said hello while looking scared and confused. Who was this guy walking up to them? Was I going to tell them they couldn’t be there and had to leave? I reached out my hand indicating that I had something for them. The father, this wonderful man, took my hand in his and saying God Bless You, God bless your family, bent forward and kissed my hand. He hadn’t seen the money in my hand. It wasn’t about the amount. It was that someone stopped to acknowledge him and his family.

The tiny little girl was jabbering away in a language I didn’t understand. I waved to her and then she stretched out her hand. I took her hand to shake it and she bent forward kissing my hand just like her daddy had done.

I was floored. This man who humbled himself to plead for his family had indeed blessed me. This tiny little girl, who I could not understand spoke so much more with her actions.

I made my way back to my truck with tears filling my eyes. I came to give away a few dollars, to make myself feel better, and in return this family had given me the blessing.

I had seen a miracle, a little girl kissing my hand, melting away all the daily burdens and influences of the world.

0 comments: